Covid-19 Updates 20-21
Updated February 11th, 2021
For specific SPHS season and registration dates - Please visit our registration page
There have been changes to the February 2nd update - Please see below.
AACPS February 10th 2021 Press Release: Athletic Season Updates:
The seasons would be carried out as follows:
- February 16 through March 20: Fall sports practices and tryouts (where needed), with activities occurring no more than three times per week over the first three weeks to ensure field equity. Teams must have three practices before any cuts are made.
- February 27: First date that football teams may begin outfitting student-athletes in helmets and pads.
- March 22 through April 17: Competition weeks for fall sports (approximate number of contests: football, 4; soccer, 5-6; field hockey, 5-6; volleyball, 5-6; cross country, 2-4; and golf, 2-4).
- April 17 through May 8: Spring sports practices and tryouts (where needed). Teams must have three practices before any cuts are made.
- May 10 through June 5: Competition weeks for spring sports (approximate number of contests: baseball, 10-12; softball, 10-12; lacrosse, 5-6; outdoor track and field, 2-4; and tennis, 5-7). Spring competition may be followed by postseason contests.
AACPS Office of Athletics Official Dates & Documents pertaining to Feb 10th Press Release
- Fall sports are scheduled to run from February 16, 2021, through April 17, 2021.
- Opening up registration for fall sports does not guarantee we will have in-person activity on any particular week or for any particular period of time. We want families to be aware of the reality that we may revert to virtual weeks if/when necessary. The type of activity we offer is contingent upon ongoing, collaborative efforts between the school system and our local department of health.
- AACPS high schools will be facilitate fall sports registration through FamilyID. Once open, registration closing will be based on numbers, staffing, and other school-based factors. Those decisions will be made at the school level and will depend on registration and participation numbers.
- Communication on the current status of our sports programs will come from the AACPS Office of Athletics in conjunction with the AACPS Communications Office. Schools will not make county-wide announcements on their own. They will provide status updates and information provided by the county to their coaches and communities as soon as they become available.
- Attendance will be taken at all sessions.